You are here
Revolution Newsletters Issue 54 August 2014
Welcome to the August 2014 Newsletter. Thank you to the ASA and the attendees of the JSM conference in Boston. In these dog days of summer we invite you to take a look at our latest webinars and make plans to meet up with us at the Hortonworks one-day events coming in September. Take a look below for links to register for the city nearest you.
If a friend forwarded this issue to you, you can subscribe here for your very own copy each month.
Revolution R Enterprise Certification is now available as an independently proctored exam. You can take the test online or arrange for an onsite proctored exam for your whole group. We have provided a study guide and sample test questions to help you prepare. We hope you will take this opportunity to add to your resume and help your organization ensure that it has the right skill sets in place for success.
Every month, we bring you the latest news about Revolution's products and events in this section. Follow us on Twitter at @RevolutionR or subscribe to our company page on LinkedIn for up-to-the-minute news and updates from Revolution Analytics!
ICYMI: ARCHIVED WEBINAR:
Applications in R - Success and Lessons Learned from the Marketplace
Adoption of the R language has grown rapidly in the last few years, and is ranked as the number-one data science language in several surveys. This accelerating R adoption curve has been driven by the Big Data revolution, and the fact that so many data scientists — having learned R at university — are actively unlocking the secrets hidden in these new, vast data troves.
In this webinar David Smith, Chief Community Officer, will take a look at the growth of R and the innovative uses of R in business, government and non-profit sectors. Then Neera Talbert, Vice President, Professional Services will take you into the trenches of recent customer deployments and share best practices and pitfalls to avoid in deploying or expanding your own R applications.
ICYMI: ARCHIVED WEBINAR:
Moving from SAS to R
There is one consistent message we hear from customers across industries and around the world: "We would like to reduce our reliance on SAS." In this webinar, we review the top reasons customers cite for moving fromSAS to R; the benefits of open source analytics; the challenges of switching; and the tools you will need to build your own roadmap. We review the key differences between SAS and R from the user's perspective, and provide you with the tools to move forward.
Revolution Analytics in the News
Big Data School: 5 Training Programs for the R Language
By Melissa Tolentino, SiliconAngle, July 14, 2014
Interview Antonio Piccolboni Big Data Analytics RHadoop #rstats
By Decision Stats, July 2014
11 Market Trends in Advanced Analytics
By Thor Olavsud, CIO Online, July 08, 2014
Revolution Analytics Review 2014
By Butler Analytics, July 08, 2014
Data Science and Art: RRE Certification
By Jelani Harper, Dataversity, July 22, 2014
Merkle Partners with Revolution Analytics
By Merkle Partners, July 30, 2014
Hadoop and the Modern Data Architecture
- September 09, 2014 - OMNI Hotel CNN Center, Atlanta, GA
- September 11, 2014 - Dallas Marriott City Center, Dallas, TX
- September 16, 2014 - New York Marriott Downtown, New York, NY
- September 18, 2014 - Hyatt Regency Boston, Boston, MA
A transformation is occurring in the data center. Enterprises are turning to a modern data architecture in order to derive maximum value from both big and small data across their organization. They are building new analytic apps that unlock opportunity and allow them to maintain or create competitive edge. Apache Hadoop is at the center of this architecture and integrates with the technologies that run your business to augment and extend this new value.
Join us for this one-day seminar and open discussion on how you can start this journey to the modern data architecture and unlock the potential for Hadoop in your organization.
- Gain insight into the business value derived from Hadoop
- Understand the technical role of Hadoop within your data center
- Look at the future of Hadoop as presented by the builders and architects of the platform
DataWeek + API World
September 15 - 17, 2014, The Kabuki Hotel, San Francisco, CA
Stop by and see us in booth B1. Be sure to register for the R programming events.
- September 15, 2014 at 1:00 PM - R Bootcamp (Stage 3)
- September 17, 2014 at 10:00 AM - R Workshop (Stage 3)
Current AcademyR Training Calendar
Here's your link to all scheduled trainings around the world. We offer in-classroom and virtual course formats. If you don't see the course or dates you need, please contact us to schedule an onsite course at your organization.
AcademyR Full Course Catalog
Download our course catalog to plan for your training needs throughout the year.
- Using Revolution R Enterprise with Hadoop (TRA109)
- September 8, 2014 at 9:00 AM - Friday, September 12, 2014 at 5:00 PM (PDT), Mountain View, CA
- R for SAS, SPSS and Stata Users (TRA109)
- October 6, 2014 at 1:00 PM - Wednesday, October 8, 2014 at 4:00 PM (PDT), ONLINE
- Managing Data with R - (TRA111)
- Friday, October 10, 2014 from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM (EDT), ONLINE
Featured Archive Video:
American Century Revolutionizes their Equities Selection Platform
The deadline for our contest to visualize the location of R user groups has been extended to August 16.
The magrittr package introduces the %>% pipe operator, an elegant way of chaining R functions together.
Joe Rickert recaps John Chambers' keynote address on the history of R at useR! 2014.
An in-depth look at R's capabilities for agent-based modeling and the RNetLogo package.
The DSC 2014 conference featured an interesting discussion on learnings from alternative R implementations like Renjin and pqR.
Every month, we highlight some upcoming events from the R Community Calendar.
- August 16: The mumbai-r-user-group will spend some time solving puzzles with R and then look into establishing the relationship between media exposure and market share.
- August 16: The Kansas City R Users Group will hold a beginners workshop.
- August 18: The Burlington R Users will do some Bayesian Analysis in R.
- August 19: The CinDay RUG will hear a presentation on Hadley Wickham’s new tidyr package.
- August 19: The Berkeley R Language Beginner Study Group will study geospatial data processing with R.
- August 20: MadR - the Madison R Programming UseRs Group will hear a presentation on using R and Bioconductor to analyze and visualize RNA sequence data.
- August 23: R Users Chennai will meet.
- August 27: The R Matlab Users will hold a webinar on modeling yield structure in 3D.
- September 2: John Maindonald will tell the Canberra R Users Group about RStudio’s abilities for reproducible reporting.
- September 3: Romain Francois will talk to the Budapest Users of R Network about R and C++.
- September 12: The Köln R User Group will discuss the Renjin package for the JVM and also hear about DataCamp online.
Please let us know if we're missing your R user group. If you're interested in starting a local R user group in your area, Revolution Analytics offers sponsorships for both new and established groups—and has published some tips for starting a new R user group.
Interested in joining Revolution Analytics? We're hiring, so check out our careers page! www.revolutionanalytics.com/career-opportunities