You are here
Revolution Newsletters Issue 53 July 2014
Welcome to the July 2014 Newsletter. UseR! 2014 at the beautiful UCLA campus was an outstanding event and we enjoyed seeing old friends and meeting new R users. Next up is JSM in Boston, August 2-7, and we hope you will stop by our booth #303. Lots of new R user group meetings coming up so be sure to check out the events calendar and find a group near you.
If a friend forwarded this issue to you, you can subscribe here for your very own copy each month.
Revolution R Enterprise Certification is now available as an independently proctored exam. You can take the test online or arrange for an onsite proctored exam for your whole group. We have provided a study guide and sample test questions to help you prepare. We hope you will take this opportunity to add to your resume and help your organization ensure that it has the right skill sets in place for success.
AdviseR Get the technical support your team needs for working with Open Source R. Keep your experts productive while helping your "new" R programmers get up to speed quickly and efficiently with our support subscription service. AdviseR will help to ensure the continuity and longevity of your R working group while you keep productivity high.
Every month, we bring you the latest news about Revolution's products and events in this section. Follow us on Twitter at @RevolutionR or subscribe to our company page on LinkedIn for up-to-the-minute news and updates from Revolution Analytics!
ICYMI: ARCHIVED WEBINAR:
Using R and Apache Hadoop - for Customer Analytics
Revolution Analytics and Hortonworks present how customers are using Hadoop and R in the real world. We show an end-to-end customer churn analytics demonstration (leveraging Revolution Analytics, Hortonworks and Tableau) serving three user personas: a website visitor, a data scientist and a business analyst.
Applications in R - Success and Lessons Learned from the Marketplace
In this webinar David Smith, Chief Community Officer, will take a look at the growth of R and the innovative uses of R in business, government and non-profit sectors. Then Neera Talbert, Vice President, Professional Services will take you into the trenches of recent customer deployments and share best practices and pitfalls to avoid in deploying or expanding your own R applications.
Revolution Analytics in the News
Analytic Technology Spurs New Ways of Marketing
By Ed Burns, TechTarget, June 10, 2014
Advanced Analytics: The Hurwitz Victory Index
By Marcia Kaufman & Daniel Kirsch, Hurwitz & Associates, July 2014
The Analyst One Top Technologies List: The breakthrough technologies every analyst should know about
By Bob Gourley, Analyst One, June 23, 2014
Global Big Data Analytics Market
By Frost & Sullivan Research Service, Frost & Sullivan, July 2014
DBTA 100 2014 - The Companies That Matter Most in Data
By Joyce Wells, Database Trends and Applications, June 25, 2014
How Companies Use R to Compete in a Data-Driven World
By David Smith, DataInformed, June 24, 2014
Big Data School: 5 Training Programs for R Language
By Mellisa Torentino, SiliconANGLE, July 14, 2014
The Open Source Analytics Invasion
Jelani Harper, Dataversity, July 15, 2014
JSM 2014 - August 2-7, 2014 - Boston, MA
Join us in booth #303 for the largest gathering of statisticians held in North America. Attended by more than 6,000 people, meeting activities include oral presentations, panel sessions, poster presentations, continuing education courses, an exhibit hall (with state-of-the-art statistical products and opportunities), career placement services, society and section business meetings, committee meetings, social activities and networking opportunities. We are doing a follow up to our Data Privacy Survey and will be giving an Apple TV to one of our lucky survey respondents. Looking forward to seeing you there!
Current AcademyR Training Calendar
Here's your link to all scheduled trainings around the world. We offer in-classroom and virtual course formats. If you don't see the course or dates you need, please contact us to schedule an onsite course at your organization.
AcademyR Full Course Catalog
Download our course catalog to plan for your training needs throughout the year.
- Ensemble Methods with Revolution R Enterprise(TRA117)
- August 14, 2014 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM (PDT), Mountain View, CA
- Using Revolution R Enterprise with Hadoop (TRA109)
- September 1, 2014 at 9:00 AM - Friday, September 5, 2014 at 5:00 PM (PDT), Mountain View, CA
- Using Revolution R Enterprise with Hadoop (TRA109)
- October 6, 2014 at 1:00 PM - Wednesday, October 8, 2014 at 4:00 PM (PDT), ONLINE
- Managing Data with R - (TRA111)
- Friday, October 10, 2014 from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM (EDT), ONLINE
Featured Archive Video:
Survival Analysis for Marketing Attribution
Joe Rickert reviews the new book "Applied Predictive Modeling" by Max Kuhn and Kjell Johnson, which is rich with examples in R and the "caret" package.
Prizes on offer for the best R graphic mapping the locations of R user groups.
Guy Abel used the circlize package to visualize the players in the World Cup and the location of their home teams.
A look at the state of the art in Deep Learning research, including the 'darch' and 'deepnet' packages for R.
A function to read data into R from Google Spreadsheets that works with Google's current security model.
Every month, we highlight some upcoming events from the R Community Calendar.
- July 16: The Budapest Users of R Network will consider hierarchical models in R as a bridge between frequentist and Bayesian statistics.
- July 17: R User Group Rhein-Neckar will get an overview of Revolution R Enterprise 7.0.
- July 17: The Ann Arbor R User Group will look into the knitr and lubridate packages
- July 18: R Users Chennai look at visualizations of Seismic Data.
- July 19: mumbai-r-users-group hold an evening of member presentations
- July 19: The Dallas R Users Group will talk about Hadoop and Big R.
- July 19: The Kansas City R Users Group will talk about using R sith BUGS and other advanced topics.
- July 21: The R Matlab Users will look for inspiration at Milestones.
- July 22: SURF, The Sydney Users of R Forum, will consider using Shiny in a business context.
- July 23: The Wiesbaden R Users Group will study Shiny applications at their Summer School II.
- July 23: Dublin R will discuss the R’s caret package for predictive analytics.
- July 24: The Kasseler useR Group will discuss some of the highlights of useR! 2014.
- July 24: R Addicts Paris will look into using R with third party tools including creating an HTTP API with FastRWeb and using R with Git and Github.
- July 24: The Austin R User Group will explore gradient boosting machines with R’s GBM package.
- July 24: The Hobart R Users Group look into pattern recognition with R.
- July 27: The New Delhi UseR Group will learn R, walk R and talk R.
- July 29: The Columbus useR Group will hold an R workshop.
- July 30: The Seattle useR Group will look into doing network analysis with R and statnet.
- July 30: Dublin R will look at the whichcandidate.ie data.
- August 5: The Canberra R Users Group will look at the ConnectR website for crowd-funded R development.
- August 12: BARUG, The Bay Area R User’s Group will look into Animation in R.
- August 16: The Kansas City R User’s Group will hold a R workshop for beginners.
Please let us know if we're missing your R user group. If you're interested in starting a local R user group in your area, Revolution Analytics offers sponsorships for both new and established groups—and has published some tips for starting a new R user group.
Interested in joining Revolution Analytics? We're hiring, so check out our careers page! www.revolutionanalytics.com/career-opportunities