You are here
Revolution Newsletters Issue 52 June 2014
Welcome to the June 2014 Newsletter. Hadoop Summit was great and we want to say a huge THANK YOU to all of you who joined us for the meet up. We had a great time listening to how people are using Hadoop and R together. We are excited to know how many of you are interested in deploying your advanced analytics within your newly deployed Hadoop clusters. Next up we are heading to UseR! 2014. Hope to see you there.
If a friend forwarded this issue to you, you can subscribe here for your very own copy each month.
AdviseR from Revolution Analytics is an annual subscription service that provides live technical support for open source R users. For more details, please click here.
Guide to Machine Learning from Inside Big Data
Every month, we bring you the latest news about Revolution's products and events in this section. Follow us on Twitter at @RevolutionR or subscribe to our company page on LinkedIn for up-to-the-minute news and updates from Revolution Analytics!
ICYMI: ARCHIVED WEBINAR:
Is Revolution R Enterprise Faster than SAS? Benchmarking Results Revealed
Revolution Analytics recently commissioned a benchmark study designed to test the relative performance of Revolution R Enterprise and SAS/STAT across a range of tasks. In this webinar, we describe the methodology, benchmarking environment and results achieved. We also provide detailed information that will enable webinar participants to replicate the tests on alternate hardware environments. Find out which software ran faster, by how much and why.
Revolution Analytics in the News
Spotlight: Revolution Analytics offers new support package for R
By Derek C. Slater, FierceBigData, May 13, 2014
Why Collecting Data In Conflict Zones Is Invaluable--And Nearly Impossible
By Tina Amirtha, Fast Company, May 16, 2014
Talking About Big Data (Without Talking About Big Data)
By Andy Beale, Gov.UK, May 16, 2014
By Steve Miller, Information Management, May 21, 2014
Big Data 100: Business Analytics
By Rick Whiting, CRN, May 22, 2014
Alteryx Analytics Brings Power of Predictive and Big Data to Market
By Tony Cosentino, Ventana Research, May 30, 2014
The Relevance of Open Source (Advanced) Analytics
By Jelani Harper, Dataversity, June 3, 2014
Alteryx Inspire 2014
June 16 - 18, 2014, San Diego, CA
Our partner Alteryx is pulling out all the stops for their annual event and we will be there. Stop by our booth, P3, to say hello and get in on a very special offer that we have for Alteryx 9 users.
Cloudera Sessions: Your Inside Track to Big Data
June 18, 2014 - Jersey City, NJ
For prospects and customers looking at deploying advanced analytics on Hadoop, this free, one-day conference could be the introduction to Hadoop technology that can help tip the scales. We will have a table at the event and people onsite to answer questions and help you to further your efforts.
June 30 - July 3, 2014 - Los Angeles, CA
Join us on the beautiful UCLA campus to be part of one of the largest gatherings of R users in the US this year.
Current AcademyR Training Calendar
Here's your link to all scheduled trainings around the world. We offer in-classroom and virtual course formats. If you don't see the course or dates you need, please contact us to schedule an onsite course at your organization.
AcademyR Full Course Catalog
Download our course catalog to plan for your training needs throughout the year.
- Quantitative Risk Analysis with R
- Monday, June 16, 2014 at 9:00 AM - Thursday, June 19, 2014 at 5:00 PM (GMT), Fort Collins, CO
- Introduction to R (TRA78)
- Thursday, June 19, 2014 at 9:00 AM - Friday, June 20, 2014 at 5:00 PM (PDT), San Diego, CA
- Using Revolution R Enterprise with Hadoop (TRA109)
- Monday, July 14, 2014 at 9:00 AM - Friday, July 18, 2014 at 5:00 PM (PDT), Mountain View, CA
Featured Archive Video:
Knowing How People are Playing Your Game Gives You the Winning Hand
Learn how many companies and organizations use R to analyze data in David Smith's keynote presentation at the China R Users Conference.
Learn about exploratory data analysis using R in an online course presented by data scientists at Facebook.
Scott Chamberlain's "R for Cats" is a fun introduction to the R language.
Test out your strategies for the popular games “2048” and “Threes” with these R-based simulations.
Every month, we highlight some upcoming events from the R Community Calendar.
- June 11: Melbourne Users of R Network (MelbURN) will attend an introduction to data.table
- June 11: LondonR will hold an R coding dojo session
- June 11: Data Science Luxembourg will discuss data challenges in the Airline Industry
- June 12: The Wiesbaden R Users Group will look into R and Hadoop
- June 12: Vienna<-R will look into R’s optimization Infrastructure.
- June 14: The Kansas City R Users Group will hold a session on teaching beginners to manipulate data in R.
- June 16: SRUG, the Stockholm R useR group will listen to Hadley Wickham speak on the intersection of markdown, shiny and R.
- June 16: The R Matlab Users will hold a social event.
- June 16: The Burlington R Users will hold an open question session.
- June 17: LondonR will leap over the ggplot2 learning curve, look into high quality maps with R and discuss use cases of churn and fraud detection.
- June 17: CinDay RUG will discuss cool things its members are working on.
- June 17: The Berkeley R Language Beginner Study Group will work on practical data science with R.
- June 18: RUGS, the R User Group Singapore will discuss R and Hadoop
- June 19: Ann Arbor R User Group will hold their first meetup! Congratulations and good luck with the group!
- June 24: The Munich useR Group will host 3 outstanding speakers: Dirk Eddelbuettel - Rcpp, J.J. Allaire on The Next Generation of R Markdown and Joe Cheng - An Introduction to Shiny.
- June 25 - 27: Troisièmes Rencontres R will be held in Montpellier
- June 25: The Exeter R Users Group will look into smoothing beyond the exponential family, GAMS for survival, ordered categorical data and heavy tailed data
- June 25: The Nashville R Users Group will talk about creating effective R packages
- June 26-28: The 8th R/Rmetrics Workshop and Summer School will be held in Paris!
- June 30-July 3: User! 2014 will be held at UCLA
- July 1: The Denver R User Group will discuss dplyr
- July 8: The Canberra R Users Group will discuss leveraging R using visual analytics in Spotfire
Please let us know if we're missing your R user group. If you're interested in starting a local R user group in your area, Revolution Analytics offers sponsorships for both new and established groups—and has published some tips for starting a new R user group.
Interested in joining Revolution Analytics? We're hiring, so check out our careers page! www.revolutionanalytics.com/career-opportunities