You are here
Revolution Newsletters Issue 50 April 2014
Welcome to the April 2014 Newsletter. New white paper, webinars and a bunch of regional events with our partners, Alteryx and Cloudera. Have you downloaded the new Big Data ebook that we sponsored with Big Data Journal? It's going to be a busy spring so let's get to it.
If a friend forwarded this issue to you, you can subscribe here for your very own copy each month.
NEW WHITE PAPER: Revolution R Enterprise: Faster than SAS
Every month, we bring you the latest news about Revolution's products and events in this section. Follow us on Twitter at @RevolutionR or subscribe to our company page on LinkedIn for up-to-the-minute news and updates from Revolution Analytics!
Decision Trees built in Hadoop plus more Big Data Analytics with Revolution R Enterprise
17APR14 @10:00 AM PDT
Fully featured, commercially supported machine learning suites that can build Decision Trees in Hadoop are few and far between. Addressing this gap, Revolution Analytics recently enhanced its entire scalable analytics suite to run in Hadoop. In this talk, I will explain how our Decision Tree implementation exploits recent research reducing the computational complexity of decision tree estimation, allowing linear scalability with data size and number of nodes. This streaming algorithm processes data in chunks, allowing scaling unconstrained by aggregate cluster memory. The implementation supports both classification and regression and is fully integrated with the R statistical language and the rest of our advanced analytics and machine learning algorithms, as well as our interactive Decision Tree visualizer.
COMING 13MAY14 - New Webinar: Revolution R Enterprise: Faster than SAS
Details and link will be coming soon.
ICYMI: ARCHIVED WEBINAR: Find the Hidden Signal in Market Data Noise
True price discovery, volume and trading patterns can only be achieved by in-depth cross market analysis. High precision market analysis requires an enterprise data management platform able to deliver high performance for capture and query. OneTick delivers on the performance and data quality these types of market analysis demand. When combined with Revolution R Enterprise, an advanced analytics platform based on the R language with the ability to scale to the Big Data needs for effective market data analysis, OneTick and Revolution Analytics deliver the one-two punch of all the data you need and the powerful analytics to deliver the results your strategy requires.
Revolution Analytics in the News
How The Rise Of The "R" Computer Language Is Bringing Open Source To Science
By Tina Amithra, FastCo.Labs, March 28, 2014
R programming Language Demands The Right Use Case
By Ed Burns, SearchBusinessAnalytics (TechTarget), March 19, 2014
Why Aren’t More Statisticians Involved in Data Privacy?
By David Smith, StatsLife: Royal Statistical Society, March 10, 2014
Analytics for All: Building Smarter Organizations
By Thomas W. Dinsmore, Wired Innovation Insights, March 5, 2014
Revolution Analytics and AWS Join Forces
By Daniel Gutierrez, InsideBIGDATA, March 5, 2014
Cloudera Sessions: Your Inside Track to Big Data
April 24, 2013 - Los Angeles, CA
May 13, 2014 - Minneapolis, MN
May 15, 2014 - Chicago, IL
For prospects and customers looking at deploying advanced analytics on Hadoop, this free, one-day conference could be the introduction to Hadoop technology that can help tip the scales. We will have a table at each event and people onsite to answer questions and help you to further your efforts.
Analytic Tools for the Data Warrior: A lunch & learn with Alteryx & Revolution Analytics
April 30, 2014, Minneapolis, MN
Join us for this joint Alteryx & Revolution Analytics seminar and learn how analysts like you are able to:
- Hunt, gather, clean, and blend their data – wherever it may it live
- Master advanced analytics – predictive and spatial analytics in a drag and drop interface
- Scale analytics to every warrior and dataset – deal with the largest of data environments with ease
Walk away with a strategy to break through your data and analytics challenges.
PASS Business Analytics Conference
May 7-9, 2014, San Jose, CA
David Smith will be delivering his talk, "Real-Time Big Data Analytics with R" on Thursday, May 8th at 13:30 in Room 220C. This conference brings together analysts from around the world of analytics to connect, share experiences, and learn more about the power of data to transform business.
May 16-17, 2014, Chicago, IL
We are proud to once again sponsor the premier conference for R professionals in the Finance industry. If you are in attendance, we hope you will stop by our table in the exhibit space. We would enjoy discussing how you are using R and the different ways Revolution Analytics may be able to support your efforts.
Current AcademyR Training Calendar
Here's your link to all scheduled trainings around the world. We offer in-classroom and virtual course formats. If you don't see the course or dates you need, please contact us to schedule an onsite course at your organization.
AcademyR Full Course Catalog
Download our course catalog to plan for your training needs throughout the year.
- Customer Analytics for Marketers(TRA104)
- Monday, April 21, 2014 at 9:00 AM - Wednesday, April 30, 2014 at 1:00 PM(PDT)
- R for SAS, SPSS and Stata Users(TRA53)
- Monday, April 21, 2014 at 10:00 AM - Wednesday, April 23, 2014 at 2:00 PM(PDT)
- Managing Data with R(TRA54)
- Friday, April 25, 2014 from 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM(EDT)
- Big Data Analytics with Revolution R Enterprise(TRA118)
- Tuesday, April 29, 2014 at 9:00 AM - Thursday, May 1, 2014 at 1:00 PM (GMT)
- Ensemble Methods with Revolution R Enterprise(TRA117)
- Thursday, May 1, 2014 at 9:00 AM - Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 11:00 AM (PDT)
The R “meta-book”: an index of free R documentation.
A comprehensive, free e-book on handling character data with R.
Five excellent reasons to use R to share with others thinking about using R: it’s free, popular, powerful, flexible and supported.
How to use palettes for R charts based on the colors of Wes Anderson movies.
A tutorial on ridge regression in Revolution R Enterprise.
Every month, we highlight some upcoming events from the R Community Calendar.
- April 9: CopenhagenR is looking to connect a few neurons with talks on artificial intelligence and Bayesian Statistics with R.
- April 9: The Wiesbaden R Users Group will hold an organizational meeting
- April 9: LondonR will hold an R Coding dojo
- April 9: The LA R user group will look into Data Science @Neftlix with a live streaming event in Pasadena
- April 11: The NH UseRs will hold their weekly meeting
- April 14: Western Mass Data Science, Stats, and R will host a series of lightning talks
- April 14: The Charlotte R Users Group will talk about text mining
- April 17: The TwinCities U User Group (TCRUG) will take up the Data-Driven Security Data Challenge
- April 18: The NH UseRs will hold their weekly meeting
- April 19: The Kansas City R Users Group will review Coursera Data Sciences courses for R
- April 22: Vienna<-R will will listen to talks on basic and advanced statistics topics
- April 23: R User Group - Singapore (RUGS) will listens to the musings of a Kaggler on R vs. Python
- April 23: The Budapest Users of R Network will be treated to a series of R lightning talks
- April 24: The Austin R User Group will hear about Data Munging in R
- April 24: The Vancouver R Users Group will dive into Deep Learning for High Performance Time-series Databases with Ted Dunning
- April 25: The NH UseRs will hold their weekly meeting
- April 29: The Exeter R Users Group will hold their second ever meeting
- April 30: The San Diego R users Group will host RStudio to discuss ggvis and Shiny
- May 2: The NH UseRs will hold their weekly meeting
- May 3: The Kansas City R Users Group will hold a meeting to discuss advanced topics in RMay 3: The Kansas City R Users Group will hold a meeting to discuss advanced topics in R
- May 5: Kuala Lumpur Big Data Week Technical R Workshop with William Tjhi and Julian Lee
- May 5: The Hobart R Users Group will look into using mixed effects models in R for ecological and evolutionary insight
- May 5: The Stockholm R useR group (SRUG) will consider Big Data in R and interactive graphics
- May 6: The LA R user group will look into new developments in knitr and R markdown v2
- May 7: Data Science Luxembourg will look into data visualization
Please let us know if we're missing your R user group. If you're interested in starting a local R user group in your area, Revolution Analytics offers sponsorships for both new and established groups—and has published some tips for starting a new R user group.
Interested in joining Revolution Analytics? We're hiring, so check out our careers page! www.revolutionanalytics.com/career-opportunities