You are here
Revolution Newsletters Issue 49 March 2014
Welcome to the March 2014 Newsletter. We have more new webinars and live events coming up in March and April. Hope to see you at an event soon.
If a friend forwarded this issue to you, you can subscribe here for your very own copy each month.
Being named a "Visionary" in the first ever Gartner Magic Quadrant for Advanced Analytics was a great honor and we would like to thank all of our customers who assisted us in the survey and interview process with Gartner.
Every month, we bring you the latest news about Revolution's products and events in this section. Follow us on Twitter at @RevolutionR or subscribe to our company page on LinkedIn for up-to-the-minute news and updates from Revolution Analytics!
Find the Hidden Signal in Market Data Noise 18MAR14 @10:00 AM, PDT
True price discovery, volume and trading patterns can only be achieved by in-depth cross market analysis. High precision market analysis requires an enterprise data management platform able to deliver high performance for capture and query. OneTick delivers on the performance and data quality these types of market analysis demand. In this webinar we will demonstrate the value of advanced analytics by looking at computing price volatility and an Option Pricing business case. The inputs from U.S. equity and options markets measure and calculate volatility, Option Greeks and theoretical option values. Data analysis reveals unique observations, patterns and the possibility for predicting future values. Precise analytics and exploiting price deviations between theoretical option values and the market is at the core of modern option pricing and trading.
Decision Trees built in Hadoop plus more Big Data Analytics with Revolution R Enterprise
17APR14 @10:00 AM PDT
Fully featured, commercially supported machine learning suites that can build Decision Trees in Hadoop are few and far between. Addressing this gap, Revolution Analytics recently enhanced its entire scalable analytics suite to run in Hadoop. In this talk, I will explain how our Decision Tree implementation exploits recent research reducing the computational complexity of decision tree estimation, allowing linear scalability with data size and number of nodes. This streaming algorithm processes data in chunks, allowing scaling unconstrained by aggregate cluster memory. The implementation supports both classification and regression and is fully integrated with the R statistical language and the rest of our advanced analytics and machine learning algorithms, as well as our interactive Decision Tree visualizer.
ICYMI: ARCHIVED WEBINAR: Building and Deploying Customer Behavior Models
Intelligent marketing requires intelligent analytics. Building, validating and deploying customer behavior models has, historically, been a long, complicated and resource-intensive process. With the volume and velocity of data continuing to get bigger and faster, marketers have long been playing catch up; waiting months for data scientists and IT departments to develop and deploy models and processes that are already out of date by the time they are put into production. This webinar will demonstrate how marketers can easily harness the power of big data without having to be an expert coder or statistician with LityxIQ and RRE 7.0. We’ll also show how the experienced data scientist can more efficiently support their business users by building and deploying complex models much more quickly than before. We’ll provide case studies that describe how to build, validate, and deploy customer behavior models such as acquisition and churn in record time.
Revolution Analytics in the News
Gartner Reveals Magic Quadrant for Advanced Analytics
By Daniel Gutierrez, Inside Big Data, February 25, 2014
Revolution Analytics Makes R Framework Available on AWS
By Mike Vizard, IT Business Edge, February 14, 2014
Interview with David Smith – BigDataSV 2014 – theCUBE
By John Furrier and Jeff Kelly, SiliconANGLE, February 13, 2014
Academic Program Discounts Enterprise Release of R
By Dian Schaffhauser, Campus Technology, February 6, 2014
Executive Insights: Tess Nesbitt Calvez of DataSong
Marketing News, February 5, 2014
Domo and the Demand for Democratic BI
By Ann All, Enterprise Apps Today, February 13, 2014
Cloudera Sessions - March 19, 2013 - Dallas, TX
For prospects and customers in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area who are looking at deploying advanced analytics on Hadoop, this free, one-day conference could be the introduction to Hadoop technology that can help tip the scales. We will have a table in the exhibit and people on site to answer questions and help further your efforts. This is the first of a number of Cloudera Sessions that we will be doing across the country.
The #drivenbydata Summit - March 19, 2014 - London, England
The Summit is a part of a quarterly series where BIPB ask leading speakers from the Data Science community to share their vision and provoke debate on issues concerning Big Data & Analytics.
Gartner Business Intelligence & Analytics Summit - Las Vegas, NV - March 31-Apr 2, 2014
Gartner BI & Analytics Summit 2014 gives you the information you need to apply new BI and analytics technologies to your company to improve performance management, generate new revenue and drive progress toward business goals. The Summit will provide you with actionable insight on big data, on leadership and in making the business case for analytics — insight that you can implement immediately back at the office. For $300 off your registration fee, please use our discount code BISP44.
2014 Hadoop Summit - Amsterdam, Netherlands - April 2 & 3, 2014
Hadoop Summit, the leading conference for the Apache Hadoop community, is coming to Europe. This two-day event will feature many of the Apache Hadoop thought leaders who will showcase successful Hadoop use cases, share development and administration tips and tricks, and educate organizations about how best to leverage Apache Hadoop as a key component in their enterprise data architecture.
Join Revolution Analytics and Hortonworks for an April 1st meetup to discuss R and Hadoop in Amsterdam - Register Here!
Current AcademyR Training Calendar
Here's your link to all scheduled trainings around the world. We offer in-classroom and virtual course formats. If you don't see the course or dates you need, please contact us to schedule an onsite course at your organization.
AcademyR Full Course Catalog
Download our course catalog to plan for your training needs throughout the year.
Featured Archive Video:
Revolution Analytics Customer Day Feb 26 2013: Panel Discussion
A statistical analysis of various forecasting methods using R led to correct predictions for 21 of 24 Oscars awards.
An R-based analysis is the basis of an interactive “Dialect Quiz” that broke traffic records at the New York Times.
Follow the links in “One Page R: A Survival Guide to Data Science with R” for several free R tutorials from Togaware.
According to the 2014 Dice Salary Survey, R is the highest-paid IT skill.
Our QA Engineer Dan Hanson demonstrates how to simulate financial market returns with R.
Every month, we highlight some upcoming events from the R Community Calendar.
- March 12: The folks at LondonR will practice the way of R coding at the dojo
- March 12: The R user Group - Singapore (RUGS) will look into Information Visualization with R
- March 12: DataPhilly will be looking at Interactive Data Visualizations
- March 14: The New Hampshire R Users Group (NH UseRs) will hold their weekly meeting.
- March 16: The Poznan R User Group (PAZUR) will talk about optimizing R code for financial models and how to scrape data from Facebook.
- March 17: The Burlington R Users will discuss Random Forest classification in R.
- March 19: The Budapest Users of R Network will anomaly detection and space-time scan methods in R
- March 19: The R Users & Modelling Systems Community of Edinburgh will see a presentation on GARCH and ARCH models.
- March 19: The New York Open Statistical Programming Meetup will consider estimating dynamic functional connectivity for brain imaging data in R.
- March 20: RBelgium will look into air quality monitoring, probabilistic latent feature analysis and the visualization of climate data
- March 21: The New Hampshire R Users Group (NH UseRs) will hold their weekly meeting.
- March 24: Western Mass Data Science, Stats and R will talk about taling a passion for statistics to the classroom, into the MOOC world and back
- March 25: The LA R user group will hold a Big Data Meetup.
- March 26: The Sydney Users of R Forum (SURF) will look into sports analytics.
- March 26: Dublin R will hold a workshop on Bootstrap Methods in R.
- March 27: R-omania will host the 2nd International Workshop with theme “The Use of R in Official Statistics”
- March 27: Torino R Net will hold their seventh meeting offering a free spatial data analysis workshop and Introductory R course.
- March 27: The Austin R User Group will see a demo of R and Tableau integration.
- March 28: The Knoxville R Users Group (KRUG) will be treated to a series of brief R talks.
- March 29: Western Mass Data Science, Stats and R will participate in the Five College DataFest.
- March 29: The Stockholm R useR group (SRUG) will hold a hackathon on predictive modeling and R for beginners.
- March 29: The Dallas R Users Group will hold a workshop on getting ranked in Kaggle with R.
- April 1: Data Science Luxembourg will discuss machine translation.
- April 4: The Milwaukee Chapter of the ASA will host a workshop on Data mining Statistics and R.
- April 4: The New Hampshire R Users Group (NH UseRs) will hold their weekly meeting.
- April 7: Western Mass Data Science, Stats and R will talk about open resources for teaching statistics.
Have you completed your sponsorship applications for 2014?
Please let us know if we're missing your R user group. If you're interested in starting a local R user group in your area, Revolution Analytics offers sponsorships for both new and established groups—and has published some tips for starting a new R user group.
Interested in joining Revolution Analytics? We're hiring, so check out our careers page! www.revolutionanalytics.com/career-opportunities