You are here
Revolution Newsletters Issue 47 January 2014
Happy 2014 to everyone. We are back at work and excited to bring you more R, Revolution R Enterprise and Revolution Analytics news. Last year was a big one for us and we are expecting this year to be even bigger. So buckle up and let's get this year started off right!
If a friend forwarded this issue to you, you can subscribe here for your very own copy each month.
Every month, we bring you the latest news about Revolution's products and events in this section. Follow us on Twitter at @RevolutionR or subscribe to our company page on LinkedIn for up-to-the-minute news and updates from Revolution Analytics!
Creating Value that Scales with Revolution Analytics and Alteryx 29JAN14 @ 10:00 AM, PST
Hosted by Alteryx, join this webinar to learn and see how Alteryx and Revolution Analytics combine to support power predictive users and analysts alike to: create high-value R-based analytics with any data including Big Data in Hadoop; deploy enterprise-scale, predictive analytics for on-demand use by any user; and deliver business insights to a broader audience in hours not weeks.
Building and Deploying Customer Behavior Models 20FEB14 @10:00 AM, PST
Intelligent marketing requires intelligent analytics. Building, validating and deploying customer behavior models has, historically, been a long, complicated and resource-intensive process. With the volume and velocity of data continuing to get bigger and faster, marketers have long been playing catch up; waiting months for data scientists and IT departments to develop and deploy models and processes that are already out of date by the time they are put into production. This webinar will demonstrate how marketers can easily harness the power of big data without having to be an expert coder or statistician with LityxIQ and RRE 7.0. We’ll also show how the experienced data scientist can more efficiently support their business users by building and deploying complex models much more quickly than before. We’ll provide case studies that describe how to build, validate, and deploy customer behavior models such as acquisition and churn in record time.
Revolution Analytics in the News:
Hadoop Gets Native R Programming for Big Data Analysis,
By Joab Jackson, Computerworld - December 16, 2013
Revolution Analytics Boosts the Adoption of R in the Enterprise
By Mona Patel, EMC Big Data Blog - December 18, 2013
In 2014, New tools turn non-specialists into Big Data analytics experts
By Andrew Brust, ZDNet.com - December 17, 2013
Revolution Analytics Extends R Programming Integration
By Michael Vizard, ProgrammableWeb - December 19, 2013
The Role of Standards in Predictive Analytics: A Series
By James Taylor, Smart Data Collective - December 19, 2013
Top Business Intelligence Trends For 2014
By Drew Robb, Enterprise Apps Today - January 2, 2014
Research and Market: Global Predictive Analytics Market 2014-2018 Research Report
By Research and Markets Group, HeraldOnline - January 7, 2014
Strata Conference: Santa Clara "Making Data Work" - February 11-13, 2014, Santa Clara, CA
Please visit our booth #610 and find out how Revolution Analytics can help you retool your analytics infrastructure and lead your market into the future. For more information or to register for the conference, please visit the Strata website and use our discount code "REVOLUTION20" for a 20% discount.
Gartner Business Intelligence & Analytics Summit - Las Vegas, NV - March 31-Apr 2, 2014
Gartner BI & Analytics Summit 2014 gives you the information you need to apply new BI and analytics technologies to your company to improve performance management, generate new revenue and drive progress toward business goals. The Summit will provide you with actionable insight on big data, on leadership and in making the business case for analytics — insight that you can implement immediately back at the office.
2014 Hadoop Summit - Amsterdam, Netherlands - April 2 & 3, 2014
Hadoop Summit, the leading conference for the Apache Hadoop community, is coming to Europe. This two-day event will feature many of the Apache Hadoop thought leaders who will showcase successful Hadoop use cases, share development and administration tips and tricks, and educate organizations about how best to leverage Apache Hadoop as a key component in their enterprise data architecture.
Current AcademyR Training Calendar
Here's your link to all scheduled trainings around the world. We offer in-classroom and virtual course formats. If you don't see the course or dates you need, please contact us to schedule an onsite course at your organization.
AcademyR Full Course Catalog
Download our course catalog to plan for your training needs throughout the year.
Featured Archive Video:
We thought we would share a quick refresher of our Revolution R Enterprise 7 features and benefits with you.
Thomas Dinsmore reviewed the capabilities of Apache Spark for advanced analytics in Hadoop.
Luba Gloukhov used cluster analysis in R to allocate single-malt scotch whiskies to four distinct flavour profiles (and from the comments, this is a topic a lot of are passionate about!).
Max Kuhn, director of nonclinical statistics at Pfizer, gave a preview of a forthcoming update to the "caret" package, and created an awesome interactive chart showing similarities amongst the 143 statistical and machine learning models it supports. (Try dragging one of the nodes in the chart!)
Derek Norton showed how to use the RevoScaleR package and R's "optim" function to perform large-scale maximum-likelihood optimization on out-of-memory data.
Jay Emerson and Mike Kane (Yale University) announced a new paper on the bigmemory package, and new capabilities for integation with Boost.
Every month, we highlight some upcoming events from the R Community Calendar.
- January 16: Leipzig R statistical computing will consider Graphics.
- January 18: The Dallas R Users Group will learn about Managing R Code with Revision Control and Automated Testing.
- January 18: The Kansas City R Users Group will hold and R Beginners Workshop.
- January 20: Dublin R will learn about self-organizing maps for customer segmentation.
- January 20: The Stockholm R user Group (SRUG) will consider fast track publishing with R using knitr and R2SOCX.
- January 20: The Burlington R Users will hold their First Gamestorming Challenging
- January 21: The Denver R Users Group will look into using R to predict the probability of an NBA team making the playoffs.
- January 21: The Bay Area useR Group (BARUG) will hear presentations on R computing in the cloud with Domino and torrentR.
- January 22: Dublin R will hold a graphics with ggplot2 workshop
- January 23: Phil Ingram from Revolution Analytics will talk address the Austin R User Group
- January 23: The Munich useR Group Meetup will hear talks on “An ingroduction to Analytical Web Scraping with R” and “THe story of your Data by R”.
- January 27: Toronto’s R Matlab Users will hold a social meetup.
- January 28: The San Diego R Users Group will look into “Visualizing Multivariate Data and ML in Python for Largish Data”.
- January 29: DataPhilly will hold two hours of lightning talks
- January 30; The Orange County R User Group will sponsor a webinar on working with mongodb and R through the rmongodb package.
- January 30: The Kasseler useR Group will delve into Textmining with R
- January 30: The Munich useR Group will also hold a rmongodb webinar
- February 5: Data Science Luxembourg will hear about license plate recognition
- February 6: The LA R user group will “do statistics backwards” with Structural Equation Modeling in R.
- February 10: RLyon will hear talks on StatET for R, the BoT package for parallel computing and reproducible research in R.
- February 11: Vienna<-R will listen to mini talks including a tutorial on Basic R and a discussion of advanced R topics.
Have you completed your sponsorship applications for 2014?
Please let us know if we're missing your R user group. If you're interested in starting a local R user group in your area, Revolution Analytics offers sponsorships for both new and established groups—and has published some tips for starting a new R user group.
Interested in joining Revolution Analytics? We're hiring, so check out our careers page! www.revolutionanalytics.com/career-opportunities