You are here
Revolution Newsletters Issue 45 November 2013
Welcome to the November edition of the Revolution Analytics newsletter. October was a huge month for us and our partners and customers. We announced our limited release of Revolution R Enterprise 7. We put up a new website. We talked to a lot of press and analysts as well as to a lot of you. We are bringing in-database / in-Hadoop analytics to your data architecture. We're delivering new Big Data ready analytics; and we are extending the power of R-based advanced analytics and data visualization to the non-programming analyst. In short, we've been very busy and we are so happy to finally be able to share it all with you.
If a friend forwarded this issue to you, you can subscribe here for your very own copy each month.
Every month, we bring you the latest news about Revolution's products and events in this section. Follow us on Twitter at @RevolutionR or subscribe to our company page on LinkedIn for up-to-the-minute news and updates from Revolution Analytics!
Did you miss our last webinar? Click through below to watch now!
- Introducing Revolution R Enterprise 7: The Big Data, Big Analytics Platform
- Big Data Analytics with Teradata and Revolution Analytics
Revolution Analytics in the News:
LIVE: David Smith - Big Data NYC 2013 – theCUBE,
Hosted By Dave Vellante and John Furrier, SiliconANGLE, October 29, 2013
Revolution R Enterprise 7 Brings Enhanced R Analytics to Alteryx, Cloudera, Hortonworks, Teradata
by Pam Baker, Fierce Big Data, October 28, 2013
Revolution Analytics Announces R Enterprise 7
By Daniel Gutierrez, InsideBigData, October 28, 2013
13 Big Data Products to Check Out at Hadoop World
By Rick Whiting, CRN, October 31, 2013
Big Data Bits: The Strata Edition - Beyond Hadoop Distributions
by Virginia Backaitis, CMS Wire, November 5, 2013
Scaling Analytics with Teradata and Revolution
Hosted by Ron Powell, BeyeNETWORK, November 6, 2013
The Rise of R as an Analytics Programming Language for Business
by Michael Goldberg, DataInformed, November 11, 2013
Southern California Big Data Executive Summit - Dec 4, 2013 - Los Angeles, CA
The challenge of analyzing and harnessing the power of Big Data to drive business value requires innovative leadership. How well is your organization managing the data explosion and capitalizing on the opportunities it presents? To what extent are you extracting value from the data at your disposal? These questions necessitate a convergence of leaders with an interest in and a responsibility for their organization’s Big Data. If you are interested in attending the summit, we have a limited number of invitations. Please contact us and make your request.
Big Data Analytics with Revolution R Enterprise - January 16th, 2014
This course is designed for R users who have mastered the basics of R and are interested in learning how to take advantage of the capabilities of ScaleR for high performance analytics on datasets that exceed the normal physical memory limits of R. The class uses a combination of lecture and labs to instruct students on how to effectively use and script ScaleR functions for big data analyses. In addition, students will learn how to visualize the results of ScaleR analyses through use of graphics packages.
Managing Data with R - January 17th, 2014
This 4-hour workshop shows how to perform the most commonly used data management tasks in R. We will cover how to use R’s popular add-on packages and compare them to R’s older built-in functions. At the end of the workshop, you will receive a set of practice exercises for you to do on your own time, as well as solutions to the problems. The instructor is available via email to address these problems or any other topics in his workshops or books.
Featured Archive Video: Northern Trust Bank Speeds Operational Risk Models with Revolution R Enterprise
Joe Rickert recounts the R presence at the Strata + Hadoop World conference, including slides from the R and Hadoop tutorial.
Some tips for using the .Rprofile file to customize your R session at startup.
The popular data-visualization software Tableau adds integration with R.
Upcoming R User Group Events
Every month, we highlight some upcoming events from the R Community Calendar.
- November 13: Portland R User Group will host a presentation on Revolution R Enterprise by David Smith.
- November 13: In their 4th meeting, the Sheffield R Users Group will hear a presentation on using R to get data from the web
- November 13: The Manchester R User Group will hear several presentations on the topics interpreting statistical models using graphics, using R as an analysis engine and R package standards for Bioinformatics
- November 13: DublinR will conduct a workshop on Time Series Analysis
- November 13: The Greater Cleveland R Group will hear several lightning talks on several topics including: MCMC and the Rjags package and nonparametric cluster analysis
- November 13: The Melbourne Users of R Network (MelbURN) will discuss the Shiny package for building web applications
- November 13: Data Science Luxembourg will consider applied data science in Luxembourg.
- November 14: The Los Angeles area R user group will consider the “unsexy” part of data science: data munging.
- November 14: The Western Mass Data Science, Stats and R Group will hear about IBM’s data driven transformation
- November 14: The New York Open Statistical Meetup will hear a presentation on InfluxDB, a distributed time series data base.
- November 14: Toronto’s R Matlab Users will present a webinar on Real Time Data Capture and Backtesting.
- November 14: The Seattle useR Group will hear a presentation on R Integration with Tableau
- November 16: The New Dehli R UseR Group will learn to walk and talk R
- November 16: The Dallas R Users Group will discuss map visualizations and graphics with R.
- November 16: There will be R related presentations at the Big Data Camp in LA.
- November 16: The Alamo City R Users Group will discuss Shiny and Using R as a Web Scripting Language
- November 18: The Burlington R Users will meet to discuss genetic computation and machine learning.
- November 19: The Connecticut R Users Group will discuss Shiny and ShinyHelper.
- November 19: The Denver R User Group will discuss using R for sports analytics as well as making better decisions about water resources.
- November 19: The R/San Diego R User Group will discuss the R packages caret and rattle.
- November 19: The Berkeley R Language Beginner Study Group talk about using R and KNIME.
- November 20: The Nashville R Users Group will look at R on AWS clusters.
- November 21: The Austin R User Group will look into Infochimps.
- November 22: The Hobart R Users Group will use some serious statistical models GLM, GAM and GLMM to study deep-sea shark movements.
- November 23; The Stockholm R userR group (StockholmR) will hold a R Hackathon: a whole day of hacking, package building and visualization
- November 25: The Sydney Users of R Forum (SURF) will use knitR and ggplot to analyze Sydney’s new public transport timetable.
- November 25: R User Group Rhein-Neckar will look into interactive web applications with the Shiny R package.
- November 27: The Budapest Users of R Network will meet to discuss the problems in the non-profit sector
- November 29: RBelgium will be talking about R and mathematics.
- December 3: The Durban R Users’ Group will meet.
- December 3: The Western Mass Data Science, Stats, and R group will hear about a SAS user’s introduction to R.
- December 3: Vienna<-R will hear a number of talks including an introduction to R for beginners, R meets Python in the cloud, and an intro to ggplot.
- December 3: The Central New Jersey R User Group will meet to discuss RStudio, Knitr and pandoc.
- December 10: The Melbourne Users of R Network (MelbURN) will talk about leveraging R in Spotfire using Visual Analytics.
- December 10: The Montreal User Group will host and introduction to R workshop.
- December 13: The Munich useR Group will celebrate Christmas by hosting a special cross-meetup with groups focused on MongoDB, Hadoop, R, Cloud and Lightweight JAVA to talk about Big Data.
- December 13: The Koln R User Group will talk about R and databases and the book: “Datendesign mit R”
Revolution Analytics sponsored more than 60 local R user groups in 2013, and is now taking sponsorship applications for 2014.
Please let us know if we're missing your R user group. If you're interested in starting a local R user group in your area, Revolution Analytics offers sponsorships for both new and established groups—and has published some tips for starting a new R user group.
Interested in joining Revolution Analytics? We're hiring, so check out our careers page! www.revolutionanalytics.com/careers