You are here
Revolution Newsletters: Issue 39 - May 2013
As spring makes its way into summer, the Revolution Analytics team wants to make sure you know where to find us and all the R resources you rely on. In this edition of our newsletter, be sure to check out the upcoming community, training, and tradeshow dates. As always, please send us your feedback so we can continue to provide the information you want and need.
If a friend forwarded this issue to you, you can subscribe here for your very own copy each month.
David Smith, VP Marketing and Community
Every month, we bring you the latest news about Revolution's products and events in this section. Follow us on Twitter at @RevolutionR for up-to-the-minute news and updates from Revolution Analytics!
New R Training Courses. The Revolution Analytics training department has just launched new R training courses, including Data Visualization in R, Marketing Analytics with R and Using R with Hadoop. Check out the R Course Catalog for the complete list.
Applications of R in Finance at R/Finance 2013. Revolution Analytics is a proud sponsor of the premier gathering of quantitative analysts, portfolio managers, risk analysts and researchers using R for finance. Join us at the R/Finance 2013 conference, which will take place May 17-18 in Chicago.
Revolution Analytics in the News: Read how American Century Investments uses graph analysis techniques to map connections among companies to improve financial results in this InformationWeek cover story, and find out why Revolution Analytics will ride the 2nd wave of predictive analytics adoption into the SMB market at CRN.
R News, Tips and Tricks from the Revolutions blog
Learn how UpStream software uses big data in Hadoop to build marketing attribution models in this video presentation from statistician Tess Nesbitt.
Want to import and visualize MLB baseball stats in R? Check out the new lahman package by Michael Friendly.
If you know the basics of the R language, but want to learn how to use R for data analysis, the videos from Coursera Data Analysis course are a great resource.
Did you know you can include mathematical equations in R charts? Here's a handy cheat sheet of all the math symbols you can use.
Every month, we highlight some upcoming events from the R Community Calendar.
- May 15: With a presentation entitled Automate the boring bits and get on with the fun stuff , Melbourne Users of R Network (MelbURN) will look into test and development with R
- May 16: Kasseler useR Group will look into Profiling and Debugging with R
- May 16: Grupo de Interes Local de Madrid (GIL Madrid) will listen to talks on acoustic contamination
- May 16: R User Nuremberg will consider Data Crunching in R and Copytest-Datenbank: eine Anwendung in R
- May 17 - 19: The Singapore R Users Group, RUGS, will participate in a Health Hackathon
- May 17 - 18: R Finance 2013 will be held in Chicago: registration is still open
- May 18: The New Delhi UseR Group will meet to discuss R programming
- May 18: The Dallas R User Group will meet to discuss Credit Scoring: Case Study of Logistic Regression
- May 23: The Austin R User Group will present an Introduction to the rggobi interactive graphing system
- May 23: The Santa Barbara R Users Group will look at visualizations in R
- May 24: RBelgium, will hold its 4th meeting
- May 24: Duncan Murdoch will present What's New in R 3.3.0 to the Edmonton R User Group
- May 27: The Seattle useR Group will look at Easy web application with Shiny
- May 29: SheffieldR, The Sheffield R Users Group, will hold its second meeting with lectures on Visualization demographic data with 3D contour plots and Documenting your R analysis with knitR/Sweave
- May 29: The Bay Area R Users Group (BARUG) will host Hadley Wickham and J.J Allaire who will speak on R packages made easy and Seamless C++ Integration with Rccp Attributes
- May 29: BaselR will meet to consider Building a Package for Dose-Response Modeling in R, afex, an R Package for the Analysis of Factorial Experiments and waveClusterR, an R Package for substitution-based problems in genomics
- May 29: The New York Open Statistical Programming Meetup, nyhackr, will feature Vincent Saulys talking about Other Uses for R in a Bank
- May 31: The Chicago R User Group (Chicago RUG) will hold a Hackathon on Immigration
- May 31: The Atlanta R Users Group will consider R for Exploratory and Modeling Data Analysis
- June 4 - 5: Dublin R will present Bayesian Statistics using BRugs and rjags
- June 5: The Upper Valley R Users Group will discuss their favorite R packages
- June 11: The Bay Area R Users Group (BARUG) will listen to presentations on Julia and how it interfaces with R
Please let us know if we're missing your R user group. If you're interested in starting a local R user group in your area, Revolution Analytics offers sponsorships for both new and established groups--and has published some tips for starting a new R user group.
Interested in joining Revolution Analytics? We're hiring, so check out our careers page! www.revolutionanalytics.com/careers