You are here
Revolution Newsletters: Issue 38 - April 2013
Welcome to the April edition of the Revolution Newsletter! Every month we bring you the latest news about R from Revolution Analytics and around the Web. You'll find tips and tricks on using R, events of interest to the R community, and information about products and initiatives from the team at Revolution Analytics. This newsletter is for you, so let us know what you think -- send us feedback at my email address below. If you find this newsletter valuable, forward it to your friends. And if you've received this newsletter from a friend, you can subscribe here to get your own copy each month.
David Smith, VP Marketing and Community
Every month, we bring you the latest news about Revolution's products and events in this section. Follow us on Twitter at @RevolutionR for up-to-the-minute news and updates from Revolution Analytics!
Webinar: What's New in Revolution R Enterprise 6.2. Product Manager Thomas Dinsmore describes the new features of Revolution R Enterprise 6.2 in a 30-minute webinar at 11:00AM ET on May 1st. Register for the webinar here to attend the live session and for access to the recorded replay.
New R Training Courses. The Revolution Analytics training department has just launched new R training courses, including Data Visualization in R, Marketing Analytics with R and Using R with Hadoop. Check out the R Course Catalog for the complete list.
Applications of R in Finance at R/Finance 2013. Revolution Analytics is a proud sponsor of the premier gathering of quantitative analysts, portfolio managers, risk analysts and researchers using R for finance. Registration is open for the R/Finance 2013 conference, which will take place May 17-18 in Chicago.
Revolution Analytics named Top 100 Big Data Vendor by CRN. The CRN 2013 Big Data 100 list includes leading vendors in Big Data business analytics, data management and data infrastructure and includes leading companies like SAP, SAS, Tableau, Tibco and Revolution Analytics.
Revolution Analytics in the News: Get tips on hiring data scientists in this article from the Wall Street Journal (sub. req.), learn how Revolution R Enterprise is used for risk management in Toronto's Globe and Mail, or get the latest company news in this analyst update from James Taylor
R News, Tips and Tricks from the Revolutions blog
Quandl is a new package for R that gives access to free time series data.
See how Facebook used R to analyze profile photo changes to create a map of same-sex marriage support in the USA.
The Washington Post reports on a map of worldwide email traffic created with R.
Get an overview of the 170+ probability distributions available in R, which you can use for quantile or probability calculations and for simulations.
A simulation-based comparison of sampling from large data sets versus fitting models to the whole dataset with the RevoScaleR package.
Every month, we highlight some upcoming events from the R Community Calendar.
- April 24: The Pittsburgh useR Group is having an informal meetup
- April 25: Hadley Wickham is presenting Bigvis, his new package for visualizing large data sets, to the New York Open Statistical Programming Meetup
- April 25: SheffieldR will hold their first meetup! - and talk about R and telesales.
- April 25: RUGS, the R User Group in Singapore will meet to discuss Healthcare and Six Sigma with R
- April 26: the Edmonton R User Group will talk about plotting and parallel computing with R April 26: At the Greater Toronto Area R User's Group, Boris Steipe will be giving an introduction to Exploratory Data Analysis methods with R.
- April 26: RUGS members will also participate in the National Environment Agency hosts Clean&Green Hackathon 2013!
- April 27: Amazon is coming to Dallas to present Amazon Web Services to the Dallas R Users Groups.
- April 27: The Alamo City R User's Group will look into graphics with R and ggplot2
- April 29: Bob Muenchen will provide the Knoxville R User's Group with a full day introduction to R.
- April 29: The group Statistical Programming DC will look into Stepping up to big data with Python and R.
- April 30: The Sydney Users of R Forum (SURF) will get an introduction to survey statistics and the Survey package in R.
- May 1: Dublin R will discuss the R package reshape2
- May 2: ManchesterR will have presentations on functional programing with R, using R for classification and graphics with ggplot2
- May 8: The Vancouver R Users Group will host Hadley Wickham.
- May 9: The Twin Cities R User Group, (TCRUG) will discuss several topics including data mining with R, SQL R and visualizations with R.
- May 10 - 11: The Milwaukee chapter of the ASA will conduct a 2 day workshop on R and Bioinformatics.
- May 14: The Bay Area R User's Group (BARUG) will talk about web applications with Shiny and R, Deploying production R models and more.
- May 15: With a presentation entitled 'Automate the boring bits and get on with the fun stuff", the Melbourne R Users Group will look into test and development with R
- May 17 - 18: R Finance 2013 will be held in Chicago.
- May 19: the New Delhi UseR Group will meet to discuss R programming.
- May 23: The Santa Barbara R Users Group will look at visualizations in R.
- May 24: RBelgium will hold its 4th meeting
Please let us know if we're missing your R user group. If you're interested in starting a local R user group in your area, Revolution Analytics offers sponsorships for both new and established groups--and has published some tips for starting a new R user group.
Interested in joining Revolution Analytics? We're hiring, so check out our careers page! www.revolutionanalytics.com/careers