You are here
Revolution Newsletters: Issue 36 - February 2013
Welcome to the February edition of the Revolution Newsletter! Every month we bring you the latest news about R from Revolution Analytics and around the Web. You'll find tips and tricks on using R, events of interest to the R community, and information about products and initiatives from the team at Revolution Analytics. This newsletter is for you, so let us know what you think -- send us feedback at my email address below. If you find this newsletter valuable, forward it to your friends. And if you've received this newsletter from a friend, you can subscribe here to get your own copy each month.
David Smith, VP Marketing and Community
Every month, we bring you the latest news about Revolution's products and events in this section. Follow us on Twitter at @RevolutionR for up-to-the-minute news and updates from Revolution Analytics!
Revolution Analytics is Hiring! To meet the rapidly growing enterprise demand for R-based predictive analytics solutions, we're looking to hire dedicated data scientists, engineers, consultants, trainers and sales and marketing personnel. To join our innovative and fast-growing company at the forefront of predictive analytics, take a look at the career opportunities available at www.revolutionanalytics.com/careers.
Revolution Analytics at O'Reilly Strata. If you're attending the Strata Making Data Work Conference Feb 26-28 in Santa Clara CA, be sure to visit booth 618 to see how Revolution R Enterprise works with Hadoop, and for your free copy of Big Data, Big Analytics signed by the authors (while supplies last).
Video Chat on Big Data and Analytics. On February 20 at 10AM Pacific Time, Revolution Analytics VP of Marketing and Community David Smith will join panelists from IBM, RedMonk, Trident Marketing and One Tree for an online chat on big data, analytics, and expert integrated systems. Details on how to join the live Google Hangout or catch the video replay can be found at the IBM Expert Integrated Systems blog.
Video: Introduction to Data Mining with R. Our most recent webinar was a record-setter, with more than 2000 enthusiasts signed up to learn how to mine big data with Revolution R Enterprise. If you missed it, a video replay of the webinar is now available.
Get Started with R and Hadoop. Learn how to use Revolution R Enterprise in big-data environments with Hadoop in hands-on training from Jeffrey Breen (Think Big Analytics), Feb 25 in Palo Alto, CA and March 14 in Boston, MA. Jeffrey explained the core technology concepts of Hadoop in our recent webinar Using R and Hadoop, now available for on-demand replay.
New to Revolution R Enterprise? Learn how Revolution R Enterprise adds power, productivity and enterprise readiness to open-source R in our free webinar "100% R and More" on March 14.
Be Counted in Rexer's Data Mining Survey. Since 2007, Rexer Analytics has been surveying data miners and analytic professionals on their software choices. Help keep R at the #1 spot by taking the 2013 Rexer Data Miner Survey (use access code RV8V2).
Vendor Insight: Revolution Analytics. Analyst firm MWD Advisors has just completed their profile of Revolution Analytics: "a leading commercial open source vendor of the R language". Download the PDF report: On the Radar: Revolution Analytics.
R News, Tips and Tricks from the Revolutions blog
Some useful tips for sharing and collaboration with R from R user Noam Ross.
An analysis of American football kicking data with R shows how the probability of making an NFL field goal diminishes with distance.
The "Elements of Statistical Learning" describes statistical modeling and machine learning techniques using R packages, and you can download a PDF from the authors.
R core member Duncan Murdoch used an R package and a 3-D printing service to create a mathematical sculpture for just $22.
A guide to functions in R (by Hadley Wickham) provides background on function elements, scoping rules and argument assignment.
Every month, we highlight some upcoming events from the R Community Calendar.
- February 23: The Alamo City R Users Group will show how to share information in R using Latex, Sweave and Git.
- February 23: The New Delhi UserR Group will host a series of short presentations on using R for Financial analysis, Epidemiology and more.
- February 25: amst-R-dam will showcase predictive modeling with R for longitudinal and time-to-event data.
- February 26: SURF, the Sydney Users of R Forum, will review the past year of developments in the R world and look to the future.
- February 26: The Los Angeles area R Users Group will examine Bayesian modeling in R with the STAN library.
- February 26: The Connecticut R Users Group will discuss R's GenLasso Package for computing the solution to Tibshirani and Taylor's generalized lasso problem.
- February 27: The Wiesbaden R User's Group will delve into Social Network Analysis with R.
- February 27: The R User Group, Rhein-Neckar, will highlight reproducible research with R's knitr package.
- March 4: Dublin R will consider the questionnaire developed by the open source SPRINT project for parallel computing with R.
- March 8: AKLRUK, the Auckland R Users Group, will hold their first meetup.
- March 8: Dublin R will celebrate International Women's Day with talks on primates, parasites, and phylogenies and more.
- March 11: BARUG, the Bay Area R User's Group will meet at the Center for Investigative Reporting to discuss the impact of R on journalism.
- March 12: The Denver R User Group will talk about the Shiny package for developing interactive, browser-based applications with R.
- March 14: StockholmR, Stockholm's R User Group, will meet to investigate text analytics using R.
- March 15: RBelgium will meet to share favorite R functions.
- March 16: The New Delhi UseR Group will meet to exchange favorite R tutorials.
- March 20: RUGS, the R User Group - Singapore will meet to learn how to use SQL queries to pull data from IBM Pure Data Systems, Greenplum and more.
Please let us know if we're missing your R user group. If you're interested in starting a local R user group in your area, Revolution Analytics offers sponsorships for both new and established groups--and has published some tips for starting a new R user group.