You are here
Revolution Newsletters: Issue 35 - January 2013
Happy New Year and welcome to the January edition of the Revolution Newsletter! Every month we bring you the latest news about R from Revolution Analytics and around the Web. You'll find tips and tricks on using R, events of interest to the R community, and information about products and initiatives from the team at Revolution Analytics. This newsletter is for you, so let us know what you think -- send us feedback at my email address below. If you find this newsletter valuable, forward it to your friends. And if you've received this newsletter from a friend, you can subscribe here to get your own copy each month. Enjoy!
David Smith, VP Marketing and Community
Every month, we bring you the latest news about Revolution's products and events in this section. Follow us on Twitter at @RevolutionR for up-to-the-minute news and updates from Revolution Analytics!
New webinar: Using R with Hadoop. On Thursday January 24, Think Big Analytics' Jeffrey Breen will present a new webinar on using R with Hadoop. Topics include: Hadoop streaming, the RHadoop project, and Big Data warehousing with R and Hive. Register for the webinar to claim your seat and for access to the replay if you can't attend the live session (which is limited to the first 1000 attendees who join).
Introduction to R for Data Mining on Feb 14, 2013. In this webinar, Joseph Rickert focuses on data mining as the application area and shows how anyone with just a basic knowledge of elementary data mining techniques can become immediately productive in R.
Revolution Analytics on the Radio. David Smith talks about the history of the R Project and Revolution Analytics' enhancements for the commercial sector in this DataInformed podcast with Ian Murphy, and about Data Science and R's role in this new movement in this IBM Big Data Hub podcast.
Revolution R delivers on speed and scale. In an in-depth profile, analyst firm Ventana Research says Revolution Analytics Rides R Language into Mainstream Business.
See you at Strata! The Revolution Analytics team will be at the O'Reilly Strata conference, Feb 26-28 in Santa Clara, CA. Visit our booth for the latest Big-Data demos of Revolution R Enterprise, and for author signings of the new book Big Data, Big Analytics. And don't miss the talk Real-time Big Data Analytics: From Deployment to Production, part of the Data Driven Business day on Feb 26.
R News, Tips and Tricks from the Revolutions blog
The blog is.R ran an excellent series of R tips and applications in December, with posts including working with Stata files, working with graphs and networks, and text analysis.
Did you know that you can use R to create optical illusions? They're not just fun to look at: Kohske Takahashi's R scripts make for some novel examples of R's graphics in action.
Introduce your friends to the R language with "Try R", a new on-line interactive tutorial for R.
Esteban Moro Egido visualizes the growth of political revolutions using Twitter and R.
Every month, we highlight some upcoming events from the R Community Calendar.
- January 23: The Luxembourg R User Group puts their heads together to create a winning Kaggle competition model, and in Singapore there's a Getting Started with R workshop. January 24: R user group meetings in Montreal (linking R with other languages), Raleigh-Durham (clinical data analysis with R), Austin (web applications with Shiny), and Los Angeles (data science in business).
- January 27: The New Delhi UseR Group features a series of lightning talks on R.
- January 29: R meetups in Leipzig (item response theory), Connecticut (Bayesian inference), Denver (integrating R with C, C++ and Java) and Weisbaden.
- January 30: The Dublin R User Group discusses GUI development with R, and the Seattle useR Group discusses R and the Social Sciences.
- January 31: The Greater Cleveland R Group features an Introduction to R presentation, and the New York Open Statistical Programming Meetup has a talk on ranking algorithms for sports and social networks.
- February 4: The Stockholm R useR group talks about microsimulation with R.
- February 5: The Dublin R group hosts an R package and coding demonstration.
- February 6: The Cologne R User Group meets.
- February 7: The Chicago R User Group discusses R, data tables and politics.
- February 12: The Bay Area useR Group features votamatic.org's Drew Linzer speaking about his successful dynamic Bayesian forecasting model for the 2012 election.
- February 15: The Atlanta R Users Group discusses using R with Hadoop.
Please let us know if we're missing your R user group. If you're interested in starting a local R user group in your area, Revolution Analytics offers sponsorships for both new and established groups--and has published some tips for starting a new R user group.