You are here
Revolution Newsletters: Issue 33 - November 2012
Welcome to the November edition of the Revolution Newsletter! Every month we bring you the latest news about R from Revolution Analytics and around the Web. You'll find tips and tricks on using R, events of interest to the R community, and information about products and initiatives from the team at Revolution Analytics. This newsletter is for you, so let us know what you think -- send us feedback at my email address below. If you find this newsletter valuable, forward it to your friends. And if you've received this newsletter from a friend, you can subscribe here to get your own copy each month. Enjoy!
David Smith, VP Marketing and Community
Every month, we bring you the latest news about Revolution's products and events in this section. Follow us on Twitter at @RevolutionR for up-to-the-minute news and updates from Revolution Analytics!
New Public Training Courses in Boston, Singapore. The Revolution Analytics Training Page has details on new live classroom courses from expert instructors, including basic R and R data visualization courses near Boston, Advanced R in Milan, and Introduction to R and Time Series courses in Singapore. Registration is also open for the online courses Big Data Analytics with RevoScaleR, Introduction to R for SAS/SPSS/Stata Users, and Managing Data with R.
Why the world needs Data Science, and why Data Scientists need R. If you missed the recent webinar The Rise of Data Science in the Age of Big Data Analytics: Why Data Distillation and Machine Learning Aren't Enough presented by Revolution Analytics' David Smith, a video replay is now available.
Revolution Analytics in the News. Read in InfoWorld how Williams-Sonoma targets customers with Big Data, Revolution R Enterprise and Upstream Software. And David Smith reveals in VentureBeat how Nate Silver used data science to beat the pundits and correctly call the election outcome.
R News, Tips and Tricks from the Revolutions blog
Jeffrey Breen shares some slides with useful tips on accessing data from various sources with R.
Steve Yun from insurance company Allstate compared SAS, Hadoop, R and Revolution R for fitting Poisson models with 150 million rows of data.
A time-series boxplot of DW-NOMINATE scores show how the US Republican Party has drifted to the right since 1975.
The stargazer package creates regression tables in LaTeX suitable for inclusion in many journals.
You can use the new Themes feature in ggplot2 to make your charts look like those in the Economist, Excel or even the web-comic XKCD.
You can use a 3-D printer to render physical versions of surfaces created with R's persp function.
Every month, we highlight some upcoming events from the R Community Calendar.
- November 14: The Chicago R User Group hosts an R beginner's night, and the Montreal R Users Group reviews Hadley Wickham's ecosystem of R packages.
- November 15: In Raleigh, the Triangle Analysts Meetup makes plans for 2013.
- November 17: The Dallas R Users Group hosts a Baseball Data Dive Workshop.
- November 19: The R Matlab Users group holds a social meetup focused on finance in Toronto.
- November 20: Meetups in Melbourne (on R tricks and tips), Connecticut (on the ExploringData package) and Portland (on cluster analysis).
- November 22: The R user group in Kassel, Germany discusses Hadoop and parallel programming with R.
- November 25: The R Users Group Rhein-Neckar presents an introduction to ggplot2 in Heidelberg.
- November 27: The New Jersey R Group features presentations on graphics, clinical trial simulations, and more.
- November 28: Meetups in Sydney (on in-database analytics with R) and Stockholm (on teaching and data visualization with R).
- December 1: Two R bootcamps (for R beginners and intermediates) in Boston.
- December 4: The London R User Group meets.
- December 5: R Meetups in Melbourne (on 2012 highlights) and Dublin (on high-performance computing).
- December 6: R Meetups in Vancouver (on the knitR package) and Los Angeles (on Twitter sentiment dashboards).
- December 7: Greater Toronto Area R User's Group hosts a presentation on unsupervised neural networks.
Please let us know if we're missing your R user group. If you're interested in starting a local R user group in your area, Revolution Analytics offers sponsorships for both new and established groups--and has published some tips for starting a new R user group.