You are here
Revolution Newsletters: Issue 14 - Mar 2011
Welcome to the March edition of the Revolution Newsletter! Every month, we bring you the latest news about R from Revolution Analytics and around the Web. We include tips and tricks on using R, events of interest to the R community, and information about products and initiatives from the team at Revolution Analytics. This newsletter is for you, so let us know what you think -- send us feedback at my email address below. If you find this newsletter valuable, forward it to your friends. And if you've received this newsletter from a friend, you can subscribe here to get your own copy each month. Enjoy!
David Smith, VP Marketing and Community
Every month, we bring you the latest news about Revolution's products and events in this section. Follow us on Twitter at @RevolutionR for up-to-the-minute news and updates from Revolution Analytics!
Revolution Analytics partners with Netezza. The companies will integrate Revolution R Enterprise and the IBM Netezza TwinFin(r) Data Warehouse Appliance. For the first time, customers seeking to run high performance and full-scale predictive analytics from within a data warehouse platform will be able to directly leverage the power of the open source R statistics language. Learn more.
Revolution Analytics partners with Jaspersoft. This partnership provides users with an integrated BI+Analytics solution capable of storing, sorting, analyzing and presenting very large data sets. Learn how JasperReports Server and Revolution R Enterprise work together.
See you at PAW San Francisco. Predictive Analytics World is a business-focused event for predictive analytics professionals, managers and commercial practitioners. On March 14-15, Learn how Gaia Interactive decoded customer behavior with Revolution R Enterprise, and visit the Revolution Analytics booth #112 to enter a drawing for a new iPad 2!
Special Offer on R Training: Through March 31, purchase a workstation license of Revolution R Enterprise with on-line "Introduction to R" training from Statistics.com for just $1125 (a combined 25% discount!). 10% discounts also available for stand-alone on-line and customized on-site training. Contact us for details.
Take the SAS to R Challenge before March 31: Revolution Analytics invites you take the SAS to R Challenge. Let us prove that we can replicate your results in R, faster and cheaper than SAS. Hurry, Take the SAS to R Challenge before the offer expires March 31.
R News, Tips and Tricks from the Revolutions blog
The Revolutions blog brings you daily news and tips about R, statistics and open source. Here are some highlights from Revolutions from the past month:
Keep an Eye on the Open-Source Analytics Stack: Revolution Analytics CEO Norman Nie describes the emerging open-source Analytics Stack: a suite of interoperable components for data, analytics and reporting that together form a best-of-breed solution for business analytics.
Parallel programming in R for Windows: Revolution Analytics has released the doSMP package to CRAN -- making it easy for any R user on Windows to do parallel processing on multiprocessor machines.
Visualize data, win prizes. Google is offering $10,000 in prize money for the best visualizations of the US Federal Budget -- an ideal challenge for R users.
Mapping election data with R: The blog Offensive Politics provides a step-by-step guide to charting the recent Chicago mayoral election by precinct, and the provided code make a great starting point for any mapping application in R.
Every month, we highlight some upcoming events from R Community Calendar.
- March 14: The Bay Area R User Group presents "A Brief Tour of An Information Environment", plus an introduction to Sweave.
- March 15: The New York R User Group meeting features Jeffrey Horner speaking on R, web application development, and Big Data.
- March 16: The Melbourne Users of R Network presents Jeremy Howard from Kaggle, on "Getting in shape for the sport of data science".
- March 17: The Portland R User Group meets. March 19: The Dallas R User Group has a presentation on "R Data Shaping Tips and Methods".
- March 22: The Denver and Vancouver R User Groups meet.
- March 23: The Structure Big Data conference takes place in New York City, and features a presentation by Revolution Analytics' Chief Scientist, Lee Edlefsen: The Coming Revolution in Statistics.
- March 23: The Chicago R User Group has a joint meeting with the Hadoop user group on using R and Hadoop on Amazon's Elastic Map Reduce (EMR) service.
- March 24: The Washington DC R User Group discusses "R in the Cloud with Amazon Web Services".
- March 25: The Greater Toronto Area (GTA) R User's Group features John Fox, speaking on Programming in R.
- March 29: The Los Angeles Area R Users Group has a joint meeting with the Southern California Python Interest Group on "Data analysis with Python and R".
- April 6: The Greater Boston and New York R user groups meet.
If you're interested in starting a local R user group in your area, Revolution Analytics offers sponsorships for both new and established groups -- and has published some tips for starting a new R user group.