Revolution Newsletters: Issue 29 - June 2012
|Welcome to the June edition of the Revolution Newsletter! Every month, we bring you the latest news about R from Revolution Analytics and around the Web. We include tips and tricks on using R, events of interest to the R community, and information about products and initiatives from the team at Revolution Analytics. This newsletter is for you, so let us know what you think — send us feedback at my email address below. If you find this newsletter valuable, forward it to your friends. And if you've received this newsletter from a friend, you can subscribe here to get your own copy each month. Enjoy!||
Every month, we bring you the latest news about Revolution's products and events in this section. Follow us on Twitter at @RevolutionR for up-to-the-minute news and updates from Revolution Analytics!
Which R is right for you? Wondering what's the difference between Revolution R Enterprise and Open-Source R? Not sure if you need a workstation or server? Consult our handy table to decide.
Learn how to create beautiful data visualizations in R, online! Visualization in R with ggplot2 is a new web-based course with live instruction, presented online June 19-20. And a few seats are still available for Hadley Wickham's R Development Master Class in New York City June 21-22 and the San Francisco Bay Area June 28-29. Visit our R Training page for details.
Free R webinars on financial risk and geolocated data. On June 13, professor David Unwin (Statistics.com) presents Finding Meaning in Points, Areas and Surfaces: Spatial Analysis in R; on June 28 David Humke (Northern Trust) presents Achieving High-Performing, Simulation-Based Operational Risk Measurement with RevoScaleR. Follow the links to register and secure your place for these live online presentations.
Learn about Data Mining and Certification for R. Follow the links to watch replays of two very popular webinars from last month: Introduction to R for Data Mining and Getting Up to Speed with R: Certificate Program in R for Statistical Analysis, Visualization and Modelling.
See you at useR! 2012. Revolution Analytics is proud to sponsor the annual R User Conference, held this year at Vanderbilt University. Come see the Revolution Analytics team talk about Data Mining, Hadoop and Business Applications with R, or visit our booth and see the new Revolution R Enterprise 6 in action.
Revolution Analytics in the news. Read how R, Hadoop and NoSQL are influencing enterprise IT analytics in this ComputerWorld Canada cover story. And see what the business press has to say about Revolution R Enterprise 6 in The Register, ZDNet and Silicon Angle.
R News, Tips and Tricks from the Revolutions blog
The Revolutions blog brings you daily news and tips about R, statistics and open source. Here are some highlights from Revolutions from the past month.
R is the most-used software by Data Miners, according to the annual KDNuggets Data Mining Software poll.
An online tutorial shows how to use R, Hadoop, and the rmr package to simulate and analyze a Facebook-sized social network.
An analysis (using R) of US politicians speeches finds members of Congress speak at 8th-grade level ... and are getting worse.
The tabplot package provides a handy function to generate a quick visual overview of a data frame.
Five videos show R integrated into end-user applications like QlikView, Excel, Jaspersoft, and iPad apps.
The New York Times gave a behind-the scenes look at how it used R to chart the size of Facebook's public offering.
Every month, we highlight some upcoming events from the R Community Calendar.
- June 12: In Canberra, the Australian Tax Office hosts a presentation on Spatial Data Analysis with R.
- June 12 - June 15: UseR! 2012, the worldwide R User Conference, takes plance at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, TN.
- June 13: The Canberra R Users Group features a presentation on the plotKML package.
- June 14: The Dublin R Users Group hosts an informal meetup.
- June 18-19: Bill Venables presents a 2-day R Programming Workshop at Marquette University, Milwaukee.
- June 18: The Twin Cities R User Group holds its first bi-weekly "show and tell discussion" in Minneapolis.
- June 19: R User group meetings in London, Denver (on wrangling data with R), and Portland, OR.
- June 20: The Melbourne Users of R Network helps get new R users up to speed with an "accelerated primer for R".
- June 21: R user group meetings in Kassel (on the knitr package) and the San Francisco Bay Area (on Elastic-R).
- June 22: The Atlanta R Users Group features a presentation on HPCC Systems Architecture Overview and R Integration.
- June 24 - June 28: The 6th R/Rmetrics Workshop & Summer School on Computational Finance and Financial Engineering takes place in Meielisalp, Switzerland.
- June 29: The Royal Statistical Society meets in London for presentations on the theme of "To R, or not to R, that is the question".
- July 2 - July 3: The inaugural "Rencontres R" conference takes place in Bordeaux, France.
- July 6: The Köln R User Group meets in Cologne, Germany.
- July 10: The BaselR user group meets in Basel, Switzerland.
Please let us know if we're missing your R user group. If you're interested in starting a local R user group in your area, Revolution Analytics offers sponsorships for both new and established groups—and has published some tips for starting a new R user group.