Revolution Newsletters: Issue 11 - Dec 2010
Welcome to a special end-of-year edition of the Revolution Newsletter! It's been an exciting year for the growing team here at Revolution Analytics, and we're proud to be bringing power, productivity, and enterprise readiness to Revolution R and helping make R ready for business. Since we announced our roadmap in May of this year, we've already delivered several of the key elements and initiatives:
- We released the RevoScaleR 'Big Data' package to scale statistical analysis in R to terabyte-class datasets.
- We released the RevoDeployR Server, enabling Web Service-based application integration, deployment and administration for R.
- We released Revolution R Enterprise 4, with new and updated performance and productivity features.
- We launched our Academic Program, making Revolution R Enterprise available free-of-charge to the academic community.
- We launched the inside-R.org website, an excellent free online resource for the R community.
- We released and updated several open-source packages for R on the CRAN network, including the iterators object type, foreach for iterative programming, and the doMC and doSNOW packages for parallel programming.
We have much more to come in 2011, including the next major component of our roadmap: an easy-to-use graphical user interface for R. Stay tuned for more news next year!
R News, Tips and Tricks from the Revolutions blog
The Revolutions blog brings you daily news and tips about R, statistics and open source. Here are some highlights from Revolutions from the past month.
Learn how travel site Orbitz uses Hadoop and R to suggest the best hotels for its customers.
A beautiful visualization displays a global map of the world's largest social network, and Facebook's Paul Butler explains how he used R to create it.
Peter Aldhous describes R's role at New Scientist, the New York Times, and other publications at the forefront of Data Driven Journalism.
Learn how to create high-definition PDF reports with tables and charts from R using Sweave in a tutorial series by Jeromy Anglim.
In its December 20 issue, Forbes Magazine names R as a "Name You Need to Know in 2011".
You can also catch up on all the recent stories in the Revolutions blog in our monthly roundups.
Every month, we'll highlight some upcoming events from R Community Calendar.
2011 promises to be a HUGE year for R community events. New local R user groups (many sponsored by Revolution Analytics) are being added all the time, from just a handful at the beginning of 2010 to almost 50 worldwide now. (Some recent additions: Cincinatti/Dayton, Houston and Toronto.) In addition to local R user meetings, Revolution Analytics is proud to also support major R-related conferences. Here are some dates to mark in your calendar for 2011:
- Feb 1-3: O'Reilly Strata - Making Data Work, Santa Clara CA
- March 14-15: Predictive Analytics World, San Francisco CA
- March 23: Structure - Big Data, New York
- April 29-30: R/Finance 2011 - Applied Finance with R, Chicago IL
- Jul 30-Aug 4: 2011 Joint Statistical Meetings, Miami Beach FL
- Aug 16-18: useR! 2011, The R User Conference, Coventry UK
Thank you for your continued interest and support of R and Revolution Analytics. We wish everyone in the R community a very happy holiday season and a prosperous new yeaR! We look forward to seeing you at these events and more in 2011!