You are here
Revolution Analytics Brings Big Data Analysis to R
-- Revolution Analytics today introduced 'Big Data' analysis to its Revolution R Enterprise software, taking the popular R statistics language to unprecedented new levels of capacity and performance for analyzing very large data sets. For the first time, R users will be able to process, visualize and model terabyte-class data sets in a fraction of the time of legacy products--without employing expensive or specialized hardware.
The new version of Revolution R Enterprise introduces an add-on package called RevoScaleR that provides a new framework for fast and efficient multi-core processing of large data sets. It includes:
- The XDF file format, a new binary 'Big Data' file format with an interface to the R language that provides high-speed access to arbitrary rows, blocks and columns of data.
- A collection of widely-used statistical algorithms optimized for Big Data, including high-performance implementations of Summary Statistics, Linear Regression, Binomial Logistic Regression and Crosstabs--with more to be added in the near future.
- Data Reading & Transformation tools that allow users to interactively explore and prepare large data sets for analysis.
- Extensibility: expert R users can develop and extend their own statistical algorithms to take advantage of Revolution R Enterprise's new speed and scalability capabilities.
"The R language's inherent power and extensibility has driven its explosive adoption as the modern system for predictive analytics," said Norman H. Nie, president and CEO of Revolution Analytics. "We believe that this new Big Data scalability will help R transition from an amazing research and prototyping tool to a production-ready platform for enterprise applications such as quantitative finance and risk management, social media, bioinformatics and telecommunications data analysis."
Sage Bionetworks is the nonprofit force behind the open-source collaborative effort, Sage Commons, a place where data and disease models can be shared by scientists to better understand disease biology. David Henderson, Director of Scientific Computing at Sage, commented: "At Sage Bionetworks, we need to analyze genomic databases hundreds of gigabytes in size with R. We're looking forward to using the high-speed data-analysis features of RevoScaleR to dramatically reduce the times it takes us to process these data sets."
Take Hadoop and Other Big Data Sources to the Next Level
Revolution R Enterprise fits well within the modern 'Big Data' architecture by leveraging popular sources such as Hadoop, NoSQL or key value databases, relational databases and data warehouses. These products can be used to store, regularize and do basic manipulation on very large datasets--while Revolution R Enterprise now provides advanced analytics at unparalleled speed and scale: producing speed on speed.
"Together, Hadoop and R can store and analyze massive, complex data," said Saptarshi Guha, developer of the popular RHIPE R package that integrates the Hadoop framework with R in an automatically distributed computing environment. "Employing the new capabilities of Revolution R Enterprise, we will be able to go even further and compute Big Data regressions and more."
Platforms and Availability
The new RevoScaleR package will be delivered as part of Revolution R Enterprise 4.0, which will be available for 32-and 64-bit Microsoft Windows in the next 30 days. Support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL 5) is planned for later this year.
On its website, Revolution Analytics has published performance and scalability benchmarks for Revolution R Enterprise analyzing a 13.2 gigabyte data set of commercial airline information containing more than 123 million rows and 29 columns.
Additionally, the company will showcase its new Big Data solution in a free webinar on August 25 at 9:00 a.m. Pacific. Registration information is located at http://www.revolutionanalytics.com/news-events/free-webinars/2010/bigdata.
- Big Data Benchmark whitepaper
- The Revolution Analytics Roadmap whitepaper
- Revolutions Blog
- Download free academic copy of Revolution R Enterprise
- Visit Inside-R.org for the most comprehensive set of information on R
- Spread the word: Add a "Download R!" badge on your website
- Follow @RevolutionR on Twitter
About Revolution Analytics
Revolution Analytics (http://www.revolutionanalytics.com) is the leading commercial provider of software and support for the popular open source R statistics language. Its Revolution R products help make predictive analytics accessible to every type of user and budget. The company is headquartered in Palo Alto, Calif. and backed by North Bridge Venture Partners and Intel Capital.
Page One PR, for Revolution Analytics
Tel: +1 415-875-7494